Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Genius of St. Ignatius


Nave Ceiling of  
Chiesa di Sant’Ignazio di Loyola a Campo Marzio
(Church of Saint Ignatius of Loyola at Campus Martius) 
Rome, Italy
 Andrea Pozzo, 1694
(source: Ken Kaminsesky)


Suscipe

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, 
my memory, my understanding
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.





Anima Christi
 (St. Ignatius of Loyola)

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
Good Jesus, hear me
Within the wounds, shelter me
from turning away, keep me
From the evil one, protect me
At the hour of my death, call me
Into your presence lead me
to praise you with all your saints
Forever and ever
Amen.

The First Principle and Foundation 
(St. Ignatius of Loyola, as paraphrased by David L. Fleming, S.J.)

St. Ignatius begins his Spiritual Exercises with 
The First Principle and Foundation. 
While not typically thought of as a prayer, 
it still contains much that is worth reflecting on.


The Goal of our life is to live with God forever.
God, who loves us, gave us life.
Our own response of love allows God's life
to flow into us without limit.

All the things in this world are gifts from God,
Presented to us so that we can know God more easily
and make a return of love more readily.
As a result, we appreciate and use all these gifts of God
Insofar as they help us to develop as loving persons.
But if any of these gifts become the center of our lives,
They displace God
And so hinder our growth toward our goal.

In everyday life, then, we must hold ourselves in balance
Before all of these created gifts insofar as we have a choice
And are not bound by some obligation.
We should not fix our desires on health or sickness,
Wealth or poverty, success or failure, a long life or a short one.
For everything has the potential of calling forth in us
A deeper response to our life in God.

Our only desire and our one choice should be this:
I want and I choose what better leads
To God's deepening his life in me.

(Source: http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/prs/stign/prayers.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment